Thursday, August 20, 2009

Paradigm Shift

My friend was studying all night for his last big test. It was all that stood between him and his doctorate. The night before the test he settled in at his desk. He heard a dog barking. He tried to ignore it, but it was one of those hairless rats that yip like there’s no tomorrow. It went on all night.

He was too angry to study. He gave up at 3:00 and set his alarm for 6:00 so he could bang on the neighbor’s door. A woman in her late 50’s came to the door. It was obvious she’d been up all night.

My friend said to her, “In six hours I will take the biggest test of my life. Your dog has been barking all night and I haven’t been able to concentrate. Would you please keep him quiet?”

She apologized and said, “My husband died suddenly yesterday and I didn’t even hear the dog. I’m sorry he disturbed you. I’ll let him in.”

Everything changed. My friend asked if she would like some company. She pushed open the screen door and touched his back as he walked in. He sat with her for a few hours, went to school and passed the test.

We never know what’s going on inside a person when they are not themselves. It might be as simple as a restless night, or as sad as a lost love.

1 comment: